Monday, August 9, 2010

Distance is Key

I think the two words I say most often whilst teaching are “step back.”

Sometimes its more like a shouting demand “step back!!!!!!” or a machine-gun style “step back, step back, step back” intended to make everyone in the whole class do it. Though, more often than not, it’s sung. (o/~ Step baaaaaaaaaaack o/~)

You get the picture.

Anyway, the reason for this is that when we step back from our work we are able to see what mistakes need fixing a lot easier. It is almost idiotic to work on a painting for hours without taking moments to check it from a distance. The biggest mistakes are often made within the first five minutes. And it’s hard to get around the idea of redoing everything because it’s just an inch too short. (Personal experience talking.)

With writing, distance is just as important. But here, we can’t just read from far away to get find mistakes, we have to enter time into the equation. We have to set things aside and get a clear head. This way we can come back to it and find those mistakes we just don’t see.

I’ve finished my MS and now it’s time to let it rest. I’m trying to leave it alone, but the question I have is: how long? I’m aiming for a month. And in this time I plan to read as many other books in my genre as I can lay my hands on.

What do you do to get distance from your work?

No comments:

Post a Comment